3 phases voting clearly indicates that only Anantnag is the hotbed of terrorism in Kashmir
The entire country is going for the parliamentary election in 2019, which will be conducted in seven phases starting from April 11 and ending on May 19. The results of the election will be declared on May 23, 2019. Jammu Kashmir has 6 Lok Sabha seat and the polling onto the 5 seats will be completed in single phase. But the most conspicuous thing is that for the first time the polling will be held in three phases for any Lok Sabha seat. This Lok Sabha seat is Anantnag, the polling on which will be completed in three phases.
Parliamentary Constituency Polling Dates
Jammu and Baramullah April 11
Srinagar and Udhampur April 18
Ladakh May, 06
Anantnag April 23, April 29 and May 06
Anantnag- A hotbed of terrorism
There is a general misbelief that terrorism is the problem of the entire state of Jammu and Kashmir. But the announcement of the Election Commission of India to conduct Lok Sabha election on parliamentary constituency Anantnag in three phases clearly reveals that the problem of terrorism and separatism is restricted only to a few districts of Kashmir and that too only in Anantnag. It also indicates that the rest of the parliamentary constituencies is largely peaceful and people are not influenced by the separatists and terrorists. For them, these two things are misnomers. Some more details of this parliamentary constituency are:
About the Problem of Terrorism in Anantnag
- It is the only parliamentary seat which is affected by terrorism and separatism whereas rests of the seats are free from the influence of terrorism and separatism to a great extent.
- It is one of the three constituencies of Kashmir valley and it is spread over Anantnag, Kulgam, Shopian and Pulwama districts. Anantnag will go to polls on April 23, Kulgam on April 29 and Pulwama and Shopian on May 6.
- It is the hotbed of terrorism and the separatists and terrorists are brainwashing the youth of this parliamentary constituency.
- Since, the elimination of terrorist Burhan Wani, the situation went to worse because it gave the pretext to terrorists and separatists alike to instigate the gullible Kashmiri youth in this part of the state.
- February 14 suicide attack on CRPF convoy, in which more than 40 soldiers were martyred, happened in this Parliamentary constituency.
- While the security forces are running operation all out to eradicate terrorism from Kashmir, the terrorist threat cannot be ruled out in Anantnag.
- The Election Commission successfully conducted the local body elections last year and this time also Election Commission does not want to give a chance to terrorists and separatists to derail the democratic process.
- The entire nation is going for the poll and the requirement of security forces in Anantnag cannot be met at this juncture.
Contestants on Anantnag seat
This parliamentary seat was won by the PDP President Mehbooba Mufti in 2014 by defeating National Conference candidate Mehboob Beigh but it lied vacant since she left this seat in 2016 to form the coalition government in J&K with BJP. The other contestants on this seat are Husnain Masoodi of the National Conference, Jammu and Kashmir Pradesh Congress Committee president Ghulam Ahmad Mir and former policeman and currently, a member of the Legislative Council Sofi Yousuf is the BJPs candidate on this seat. The National Conference and Congress had sealed an alliance on March 20 for three Lok Sabha seats in Jammu and Kashmir and decided to go for friendly contests on three other seats, including Anantnag.